Criminal justice: building settled lives for those leaving custody or serving community sentences
Funding theme: Criminal justice, better futures for people leaving custody
We want to fund services which prepare people for release from the custodial system or who are reaching the end of community sentences. By supporting people in this transitional period we hope to reduce the risk of further prison or community sentences.
- Area: Greater London or for work with beneficiaries that are Londoners
- Open to: New and pervious applicants
- Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Funding length: Up to 5 years
- Funding size: There is no minimum or maximum limit to how much we will give, however we never give revenue funding exceeding 50% of the applicants turnover/income in any one year
- Average award: Based on grants made to date, we have awarded between £45,000 and £154,000, the average award size has been £87,000*
What we fund
Examples of projects and organisations we will fund include those that:
prepare and support people for and on release from prison and directly provide or connect them with key services and support, such as safe and secure housing, access to employment and self-employment opportunities
deliver work at specialist premises that support marginalised prison leavers, for example, women who have survived domestic abuse
tackle inequalities in custodial sentencing
advocate for evidence of alternatives to custody
We can support work taking place within prisons and young offenders institute only when that work is in preparation for release and when these facilities are in Greater London or the beneficiary groups are Londoners.
Wherever possible, we seek to support projects and organisations that involve the communities the project or organisation serves in shaping its services and/or that are majority-staffed or run by those with lived experience of the issues they address.
How to apply
Before beginning your application, please ensure you have thoroughly read steps one and two to check that our funding is a good fit for you. Please note, we only fund organisations that meet our eligibility criteria.
If you are a previous grant holder, or an unsuccessful applicant, please read our reapplication criteria before submitting a new application.